Camping in Belgium (legislation, how, why, duration)
Free camping is not allowed in Belgium. However, it is possible to travel in a van, tent or camper van.
Here are the ways and means to camp and travel in Belgium ?
In a van, caravan or motor home
- On car parks
On roadsides as long as traffic is not disrupted
Nb: only sleep in the two places above if you are sure that you are safe and calm in these places. Avoid busy car parks, close to major roads or cities.
- On private property with the consent of the owner. You can book easily with waycamper.com
In a tent
- On private property with the owner’s consent. You can book easily with waycamper.com
How many nights can you camp in Belgium?
There is no limit to the length of time you can sleep in a wilderness campground or at a home stay in Belgium. However, wild camping is very complicated and forbidden. If you want to go in contact with nature, in all security and legality, you can camp with the inhabitant with WayCamper.
However, if you travel in a tent, it is strongly advised to do it during the good season (between mid-April and beginning of October).
Why travel to Belgium?
- Food: French fries, chocolate, beer)
- Festivals: Rock Werchter, Couleur café, les Ardentes, Dour Festival, Tomorrowland to name a few.
- The medieval fortresses and the remains of the two world wars
- Art, comics, songs, …