Camping in Spain (legislation, how, why, duration)
Free camping is allowed on very rare occasions in Spain. However, it is possible to travel in a van, tent or camper.
Here are the ways and means to camp and travel in Spain ?
In a van, caravan or motor home
- First advice, make sure you are far from the tourist areas and the coast. Also prefer the Atlantic coast to the Mediterranean coast. These are strictly controlled. If you are caught with your van and camp, you will be fined between 30 and 800 € depending on the region.
Nb: sleep in the two places above only if you are sure to be safe and quiet in these places. Avoid busy parking lots, close to major roads or cities.
- On private property with the consent of the owner. You can book easily thanks to waycamper.com
In a tent
- Same thing for the bivouac, make sure you are far from the tourist areas and the coast. Also prefer the Atlantic side to the Mediterranean coast. These are strictly controlled. If you are caught with your tent you can be fined between 30 and 800 € depending on the region.
- On private property with the consent of the owner. You can book easily with waycamper.com
How many nights can you camp in Spain ?
There is no limit to the length of time you can sleep in a wilderness campground or at a local’s house in Spain. However, camping in the wild is very complicated, bivouacking is tolerated but you will have to be extremely cautious and well informed about the hunting areas and other regulations in the region in question.
If you wish to leave in contact with nature, in all security and legality you can camp in the inhabitant’s house with WayCamper.
However, if you travel in a tent it is strongly advised to do it during the good season (between the beginning of March and the end of October).
Why travel to Spain ?
- A fascinating and varied nature
- The festival of the Tomatina
- The lifestyle: Lentamente, eating late, taking a nap during lunch, …
- Discovering mythical soccer clubs
- Seville and its Muslim heritage